Monday, November 17, 2008

The Holidays are coming

I cannot believe how fast time is flying and that the holidays are almost here! It feels like it was just barely Halloween and now it is going to be Thanksgiving next week. I do have to admit though I love that there is no snow yet. The longer it takes to get here the better otherwise I will be on lock down since our car is worthless in the snow. The only good thing about the snow is that it usually means the holiday season is here! I am extra excited for this holiday season though because it will be the first one that I actually get to be with Jeff and we are not on two different sides of the country. I also have a house that I get to decorate, which I can’t wait to do! In my house growing up, the holidays were a pretty big deal. My mom just goes all out with decorations, food, and food haha. Those of you who know my mom know she is an AMAZING cook. So I have some pretty big shoes to fill and I need to get my practice in! Before, I would always help her cook for the holidays but now that I am married, I have told her I want to bring something for Thanksgiving…like make it all on my own and not have her there to basically do it and I help where needed. She always has to do everything and it is so hard because our family just keeps getting bigger so I want to at least to cover one of the menu items. I have been trying to think though what to bring so I thought I would see if there are any ideas out there or what your favorite dishes/desserts are for the holidays? I would love any input!

6 comments:

Amy said...

Has she assigned you something? It'd be easier for me to think of something if I had a specific category in mind. I bet you're a good little cook! But it literally took me like 6 months of being married to actually get a desire to cook and come up with really good meals... food Network helped with that! It was intimidating to me at first because of my mom too haha.

Unknown said...

She hasn't yet plus it has to be something I can travel with. Tam was saying though to bring some kind of dessert, which I might end up doing. Haha, maybe I should check out Food Network though!

Arielle said...

Jonesy's mom must have decorated big time for Christmas because there seem to be a lot of specific decoration demands now that Christmas is coming and we have a house. I have to remind him that she probably accumulated stuff over the years and we have only been married less than three years.

Marisa said...

Rolls are my absolute fav! They could be one of the harder things to do though. Chels you have the cooking genes so I think you can pretty much do anything!

P.S. Your mom IS and AMAZING cook!

Tim and Jennifer said...

I hate to cook. Sad, huh? I love to bake though! I love fresh peach pie. Is that in season??

Anonymous said...

You have to check out my favorite place for recipes! It's www.allrecipes.com it's wonderful because the recipes are all rated and reviewed by the people on the website. =)