Sunday, May 24, 2009

In Memory

Today my parents are going to visit the graves of my Grandpa and Grandma Allen for Memorial Day weekend. Jeff and I were not able to go today but I have been thinking so much about my Grandma Allen that I thought I would write a little bit about her.

She passed away when I was 17 years old and I never knew my Grandpa Allen because he died right before I was born. My Grandma spent those 17 years all alone. Growing up, I was able to spend a lot of time with my Grandma. She was always there for anything big or small, and many times she would watch me while my parents went out. I grew to love my Grandma more and more over the years. When I was little, I always thought she was stern. She would make me eat all my food, told me not to cry when I broke my wrist haha, and was always making sure I stayed out of trouble. My Grandma was one tough cookie! She was married when she was 16 and my Grandpa was ten years older than her. She wasn’t able to finish school but went to work in a butcher’s shop to help provide for her small family. She didn’t let anyone push her around and she was the one in charge! I will never forget the one piece of advice she would always give me everytime she came over, “Chelsie, you get your education and work hard in school.” Oh, and as I got older she started to add in, “And stay away from those boys!” I always told her, “Yes, Grandma, I will,” although I wasn’t quite sure about the part with the boys. Her advice really sunk in though and I found myself working hard in school and pushing myself to make her proud.

I always admired the strength of my Grandma. Although my Grandma was often lonely without her companion, you never saw her in a moment of weakness. She pushed on with her life and devoted herself to serving in the church. She became a temple worker in the Oakland temple and spent her days there, serving and helping others. Work was a part of her and she had to constantly be doing something. When she would come over for dinner, she had to help someway but felt she couldn’t cook anymore so she was always at the sink washing the dishes. We could never pull her away.

My Grandma would also always tell me, “I hope I can see what you become.” I would have loved to have my Grandma there at my high school graduation, at my college graduation, and most importantly my wedding. The thing is I know she was there. She may not have been there in person, I may have not been able to see her but I could feel her there. One of the most profound things I remember from when Jeff and I were married was feeling the presence of my Grandpa and Grandma Allen. I am so happy they are together once again and I know we will be together one day. My Grandma still pushes me to be a better, stronger person and her example lives on in my life and in my memories. I love her so very much!

0 comments: