Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Thankful Thanksgiving

I can't believe Thanksgiving has passed and it is almost December! Florida has me all confused what time of the year it is because the weather doesn't change! It was rainy before Thanksgiving though which I liked because it reminded me of Thanksgiving growing up in California. It was a different Thanksgiving though because it was my first in Florida and my first away from my family. It was still a wonderful Thanksgiving though and I have gained new family and it was great to spend it with them. Jeff and I couldn't go anywhere for Thanksgiving so Jeff's parents came down to us and we celebrated together! We cooked all the food in our apartment and then we took it down to Siesta Key where we ate with our little old lady friend, Jane. She is the sweetest lady you will ever meet! Her health is not very good and she was going to be all alone and we couldn't let that be so we went to her. I had never done a Thanksgiving meal before myself but thank goodness for Jeff's mom! She is a machine and knows how to get it done! I would have been lost without her!



The table


Did you ever make these? My mom used to make these little turkeys for us so I decided to do some!

Our spread of food

The gang!

It was a great Thanksgiving and as always on Thanksgiving, you have to say what you are thankful for! There are many, many things I am thankful for but the thing that I am most grateful for this year is the ability we have to communicate and travel. Being away from family has made me realize how grateful I am for cars, planes, phones, computers, even texting! I know it may sound silly but it wasn't too long ago that I wouldn't have been able to communicate with my family the way we can today. I can hop on a plane and see my family in a day if I wanted although they live thousand miles away! Jeff's parents were able to come down here and be with us and we were able to drive to be with Jane. It truly is a blessing in my life and I am grateful people are willing to come and visit us too! :)

I also learned something else this Thanksgiving. I was missing my family terribly and wanting to cry but as we were sitting at the dinner table and Jeff was next to me with his arm around me, a wave of comfort came over me and I realized that all I need is him. Although I wished my family could have been there and wanted to be with them so bad, I was ok because he was with me. I have always known you are to "cling unto your spouse" and that all I need is him but this was a true testament of that to me and I am so thankful I have him to "cling to." He is my rock!


Well, I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and I guess it's time to pull out those Christmas decorations! Happy Holidays! :)

3 comments:

Amy said...

What a great post, Chels! It made me miss you! We weren't able to go anywhere either, with me being so pregnant, and it is definitely strange not to go "home" for both holidays this year. Luckily, we had my sister, my brother, sister-in-law, and niece who all stayed in UT too, so we had a big feast with them. I'm glad you were able to be with family on Thanksgiving and that you had a good one, even though you missed your immediate fam! You are so right, though, about clinging to your spouse! It is comforting, huh?

And yes it is definitely time to get out your Christmas decorations girl! We did that a couple days ago and it feels so cheery!

Amy said...

Time for an update, friend! :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree!!!
Look forward to keeping up with you guys!! And oh how exciting the news!!
Torie Sue & Crew